Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Thirty Shopaholic




Unlike most shopaholics, I’ve always been thrifty. My family’s never had a lot of money to spend around, but that never stopped us from having fun. We found plenty of ways to have a good time with our low budget. So I was able to do the same thing when it came to shopping. Thrift stores became my life.

I know a lot of people are bothered by the fact that the clothes have been used, but I grew up on hand-me-downs. For me, it’s always been about the style and the look. Who cares who wore it before, just so long as it looks great on you. I also like to think of it as a passing on of the torch. Who ever owned this red polka dotted dress before me had great taste and style, and now, so do I.

Another reason people won’t often shop at Thrift stores is because there’s never a guarantee you’ll find what you’re looking for. This happens to be one of my favorite things about Thrift stores. There are times that I won’t find anything and all I can do is go home disappointed. Then there are those times when every other item on the clothing rack is just what I need! I love how it comes as a total surprise! It makes shopping so much more exciting!

I’m also the kind of person who’s willing to scour each and every rack in the store for hours. Most people hate that you can’t just walk into a thrift store and find something perfect right away. For me, it’s like a scavenger hunt! The only requirement I usually have when I walk into a store is that it be something unique. I don’t want to try on a skirt that comes in different sizes for every other girl out there. I want something that fits me and me only. Not just in size, but in style as well. So searching endlessly through the mixed bag you get at thrift stores is totally worth it for me!

Now, when I say I like things that are unique, that doesn’t mean I’ll wear ANYTHING that unique! My friends will go shopping with me and point out clothes and say: “oooh Miranda! This is soooo YOU!” Usually they’re wrong. Really wrong. To clarify I guess I should say that it has to be unique and very. . . me! Which can actually make it even more confusing.

I can’t really put a finger on exactly what it is I like (and this goes for more than just clothes, like music and movies etc.) I never know if I’m going to like something till I just do. Most people have a genre of music, a type of movie, a style of writing, or a line of clothing that seems to have been made just for them. That just isn’t me though.

I guess that's why thrift stores seem to have been made for me! They’re filled with so many different clothes from different people and different eras. I love that I can find the perfect everything and anything there. One minute I’m Joan Jett , the next I’m Molly Ringwald, Jacqueline Kennedy, or Katharine Hepburn. I just love being me, whichever me that might be at the moment!

Sorry these have been soooo wordy lately!

Hope you still enjoy 'em,

Loverly! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment